Thursday, August 24, 2006

Bushman bum!

I am currently reading "A History of South Africa" by Frank Welsh. I am very impressed so far. He has a great style, and while it is a think 558 page volume I am quite into it! Not at all like the other two (French and Dutch) history books I am yawning... I mean reading ;)
I have already learnt so much from this book. I would highly reccommend it to anyone really wanting to understand South Africa, where its been and where it is today - from an unbiased Englishman.

I also just wanted to share a quick giggle I had. So my mom has always told me I like her (and her mother... ) have bushman bums. I'm not sure if anyone reading this knows what that looks like, but lets say that the rear is not proportionate to the rest of the body... so when Welsh brought up the anatomy of the Khoikhoi and San (native 'yellow skinned' people, who the white Europeans later inter-married with) and described them as having "remarkably protruding buttocks" I had to laugh, and feel a little relieved that its not my fault - althought ice-cream I'm sure doesn't help ;)

Since I am a family history major, I am now very intrigued as to my "native" blood. I must have a Khoikhoi or San bloodline somewhere, I just have to find it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home