Sunday, January 08, 2006

The truth about Root Canals!!!

I was told about 3 months ago I needed a root canal. I had come to the dentist in excruciating pain and that was his prognosis. I asked if if there were alternatives. He said no, and that if I waited I risked losing the tooth which would mean extraction. I burst out crying and did not know what to do. I called my mom in South Africa waking her up at like 2am and she told me it was my decision, but that she didn't think it was a good idea. She had heard root canals were bad for you and that there were underlying causes of such tooth decay. She said that having a root canal was removing the symptom, but not dealing with the problme or cause. (I later learned the cause is nutrition and not so much dental hygeine).
I told the dentist my decision and he still tried to sell me the idea of a root canal. I felt pressurized almost as if he was a salesmen, and we know how much we love salesmen who push us to make a desision NOW!
Finally I got him to give me antibiotics and something for the pain. I said I'd come back after the weekend, so that I could get away, but all I really wanted was a second opinion.
I spent the rest of that day researcing online. I obviously found sites that were Pro but just as many if not more Anti! I was shocked to read the affects that some dentist and doctor believe root canals can have.
I ordered a book online "Root Canals Exposed". I called the local health food store, GOOD EARTH, and they gave me a number of a dentist that was more holisticlly, or naturally minded. I made an appointment with him and told him of my situatuion. He said he did everything he could to avoid doing root canals, but that my situation was problematic. My decay was right up to the nerve. He said he could try to remove the decay and then put in a nerve cap and fill the tooth. There was only a 50/50 chance that it would work in the long run, and if he hit my nerve while removing the decay, it would be all over. I said I belived he could do it. He also said the rest was up to me. I had learned through my research how much nutrition, exercise and rest played a factor in even our teeth. Sugar is literally POISON, that I am addicted to. I lay there the entire time praying, pleading that my tooth could be saved. I was so anti root canals now that I would rather have the tooth extracted, which would cost more in the long run, adn I didn't have money for stuff like that!
He was able to fill the tooth - it was a BIG filling, but it worked. Here I am 3-4 months later feeling great about my decision. I won't lie, sometimes the tooth is sensitive, and it took 2 months to feel normal again - it was very sensitive to heat and cold and too much pressure, but it is almost normal now. Whether this tooth will last for years to come who knows. HOWEVER the moral to the story is that there is alwasy an alternative. Furthermore, I have become more and more health concious. What we put into our bodies is going to affect our health, strength, intelligence and overall quality of life, whether we believe it or not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home